Goodbye, 2015 New Year's diet! Say hello to this decadent, rich, and silky devil of a cake (times four for the four layers).
This cake was even more fun to make than it was to eat for the following reasons:
- You get to whip two sticks of soft butter until it turns light and fluffy.
- You get to use full-fat buttermilk, not the weak-sauce low-fat variety.
- You get to lick every smidgen of cake batter off your hands, fingers, and utensils (when no one is watching, of course).
- You get to make caramel from scratch and then lick the whisk, carefully tucking your tongue under every crevice of the metal wires.
- You get to pulverize dehydrated cake crumbs, sift them over a cake, and then tilt your head back to take in the leftovers.
Sounds sensual because it is - there are four layers of dense chocolate cake with mini-layers of caramel and chocolate ganache in between. This cake is the ultimate guilty dessert! But don't worry - even if you allowed yourself to, you won't be able to eat much of this cake at once. One bite is enough to send you into a food coma, and you will wake up with no recollection of what just happened.