Sweet & Savory Granola
Every few months, I rebel against my lactose intolerance and buy a tub of full-fat plain yogurt (cream on top) to eat with this granola. I can't have one without the other. It becomes the chicken or the egg problem: did I crave the yogurt first or the granola? In the end it does not matter. My midsection ends up miserable for days, but my tastebuds are happy.
- 2 cups rolled oats (preferably thick)
- 1 cup raw mixed nuts
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- 1/3 cup toasted unsweetened dried coconut flakes
- Mix wet ingredients (oil through vanilla bean paste) in a bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to the rolled oats and mixed nuts. Mix until evenly distributed.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and spread mixture evenly, covering as much surface area as possible.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally throughout.
- Transfer granola to a clean container and mix in dried blueberries and toasted coconut flakes.